Return to Home

History

The Anglican Parish of St Stephen’s and St Mary’s

The original Parish of St Stephen, Mount Waverley, worshipped at the old church of St Stephen, built in 1865: the parish celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the construction of the original church of St Stephen throughout 2015. Find out more.

The new church of St Stephen was opened in 1968 and the old church deconsecrated.

In 2002, the church of St Mary’s, Chadstone, was deconsecrated and members of the parish joined the Parish of St Stephen, becoming the Parish of St Stephen and St Mary, Mount Waverley, under the guidance and leadership of Fr Jeff O’Hare.

The Parish of St Stephen & St Mary (2002 to date):

  • 2013 to date:   Revd Dianne Sharrock
  • 2003 – 2013:   Revd Grantley K Bullen
  • 2002 – 2003:   Revd Jeffrey S O’Hare

The Parish of St Stephen, Mount Waverley (18xx to 2002):

  • 2002: Amalgamation of St Stephen’s and St Mary’s
  • 1995 – 2002: Revd Jeffrey S O’Hare
  • 1989 – 1994: Revd John C Howells
  • 1983 – 1989: Revd John W Stewart
  • 1978 – 1983: Revd St John Edwards
  • 1976 – 1978: Rt. Revd David Shand
  • 1970 – 1976: Revd Robert L Butterss
  • 1961 – 1969: Revd Charles L Oliver
  • 1958 – 1960: Revd Robert O Bodey
  • 1954 – 1957: Revd Esmond Leaver
  • 1950 – 1954: Revd James Knife
  • 1922 – 1949: Revd C H H Chalmers
  • 1901 – 1921: Revd J C Atkinson
  • 1895 – 1898: Revd H Pepper
  • 1892 – 1895: Revd E Halford Hennell
  • 1880 – 1892: Revd J A Preistley
  • 1865 – 1879: Revd T C Cole
  • 18xx – 1864: Revd H W Wilkinson Liddlard

The Parish of St Mary’s, Chadstone (1961 to 2002):

  • 2002: St Mary’s Church de-consecrated
  • 2000 – 2002: Revd Jeffrey S O’Hare
  • 1995 – 2000: Revd Geoffrey Poliness
  • 1991 – 1994: Revd Erich von Deitze
  • 1984 – 1988: Revd Andrew D Oddy
  • 1978 – 1984: Revd Andrew R St John
  • 1972 – 1977: Revd F. J Millar
  • 1969 – 1972: Revd C D Longfield
  • 1961 – 1969: Revd Andrew J Schreuder